UNSW and Sydney Airport have announced a suite of nine new prizes for top performing students in aviation and business, cementing relationships between the two leading Sydney institutions.
The inaugural winners of the annual prizes, worth $14,000 in total, will receive their awards at ceremonies in early June.
Eight prizes, worth a total of $10,000, have been created for undergraduate and postgraduate students in the Faculty of Science’s School of Aviation, to recognise excellence in areas such as airport management, airport planning and aviation security.
The $4000 Sydney Airport AGSM Award is for the top performing Business School student across the AGSM’s Strategic Management Year – the final intensive session of UNSW’s renowned MBA (Executive) program.
Sydney Airport Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Kerrie Mather said: “It’s our vision to foster the growth of aviation for the benefit of Sydney, NSW and Australia and we’re proud to support the growth and development of future aviation and business leaders through these nine Sydney Airport prizes. As an alumna of the UNSW Business School and a member of the UNSW Business Advisory Council, I’m pleased to acknowledge the impressive achievements of these UNSW students.”
Head of the UNSW School of Aviation, Professor Jason Middleton, said: “We are very pleased that Sydney Airport has partnered with UNSW to recognise the academic achievements of our top students. These prizes will inspire the students and help ensure the highest quality of the aviation graduates entering the industry.”
Director of AGSM @UNSW Business School Julie Cogin said: “We’re so pleased to work with Sydney Airport in this meaningful way. These prizes also reflect the important general management and leadership skills required to succeed in this industry in addition to the advanced technical aviation knowledge that these students obtain at UNSW.
“We hope the prizes are the start of a long term relationship between our organisations that will capitalise on the market synergies and shared goals to foster leadership talent.”
Gerald Choy, a student from Singapore who will graduate with a Bachelor of Aviation (Management) on 7 June, will receive three prizes worth $5000 – the $1000 Sydney Airport Prize in Airline Resource Management, the $1000 Sydney Airport Prize in Aviation Safety and Resource Management, and the $3000 Sydney Airport Prize in Bachelor of Aviation.
Mr Choy said he had enjoyed studying at UNSW and it meant a lot to him to have won the Sydney Airport awards. “UNSW Aviation lecturers are very knowledgeable and well connected in the industry. Winning the awards is morale boosting, knowing that your hard work in university has paid off. It will be a great honour for me to be present at the ceremony.”
The recipients of the other Sydney Airport School of Aviation prizes include:
- Shane Severn, Sydney Airport Postgraduate Prize in Airport Planning
- Dannielle Hartog, Sydney Airport Postgraduate Prize in Aviation and Security
- Benjamin Langton, Sydney Airport Postgraduate Prize in Airport Operations Management
- Jenna Neilson, Sydney Airport Prize in Security and Airport Management
- Matthew Van Bruinessen, Sydney Airport Prize in Current Affairs in Aviation
The winner of the Sydney Airport AGSM Award is Kim Anderson, Head of Deposits Product Management at NAB. Kim, who is soon to graduate with an AGSM MBA (Executive), will receive her award at a ceremony on 1 June.
Mrs Anderson said she was honoured to receive the award and to have developed her capabilities alongside some incredibly talented individuals who will remain close friends and business colleagues. "All the learning experiences I’ve had both within the Strategic Management Year and over the previous three years have supported me within my day-to-day work and continue to help me progress my leadership capabilities and fast track my career opportunities. This award is a fabulous way to end my MBA experience."
Full list of Sydney Airport prize recipients
School of Aviation
- Sydney Airport Prize in Bachelor of Aviation ($3000) – Gerald Choy
- Sydney Airport Prize in Airline Resource Management ($1000) – Gerald Choy
- Sydney Airport Prize in Aviation Safety and Resource Management ($1000) – Gerald Choy
- Sydney Airport Postgraduate Prize in Airport Planning ($1000) – Shane Severn
- Sydney Airport Postgraduate Prize in Aviation and Security ($1000) – Dannielle Hartog
- Sydney Airport Postgraduate Prize in Airport Operations Management ($1000) – Benjamin Langton
- Sydney Airport Prize in Security and Airport Management ($1000) – Jenna Neilson
- Sydney Airport Prize in Current Affairs in Aviation ($1000) – Matthew Van Bruinessen
- Sydney Airport AGSM Award ($4000) – Kim Anderson